Change of Name Letter Following Divorce/Marriage/Civil Partnership Fill out the template

How does it work?

1. Choose this template

Start by clicking on "Fill out the template"

1 / Choose this template

2. Complete the document

Answer a few questions and your document is created automatically.

2 / Complete the document

3. Save - Print

Your document is ready! You will receive it in Word and PDF formats. You will be able to modify it.

3 / Save - Print

Optional legal consultation

You can choose to get help from a lawyer after filling out the document.

Optional legal consultation

Change of Name Letter Following Divorce/Marriage/Civil Partnership

Last revision Last revision 08/05/2024
Formats FormatsWord and PDF
Size Size1 page
5 - 1 vote
Fill out the template

Last revisionLast revision: 08/05/2024

FormatsAvailable formats: Word and PDF

SizeSize: 1 page

Option: Help from a lawyer

Rating: 5 - 1 vote

Fill out the template

This change of name letter can be used by a person living in England and Wales who has changed their name following a marriage, civil partnership, divorce or dissolution, to notify an organisation that they have changed their name.

A person can choose to use a new name following any of the above circumstances and can use the relevant certificate or court order as evidence. The letter can be sent to organisations, such as:

It is very important to check whether the relevant organisation requires any additional information or proof in order to process a change of name.

How to use this document

The document should be completed with the correct factual information. It can be printed, signed and sent via post or it can be electronically signed and sent by email.

It is useful to check with the relevant organisation to see whether they specify how such requests should be made.

Furthermore, some organisations will require proof in the form of a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or divorce certificate. In this case, these documents can be attached to the letter.

Relevant law

This document is a template letter which can be used to notify others of a change of name and therefore does not contain any law directly.

It is possible to choose to start using a different name in England and Wales after a marriage, divorce or civil partnership without going through any further formal legal processes. Ordinarily, the certificate proving this marriage, divorce or civil partnership will be shown to the relevant professional body to enable a name change to be processed.

The UK government website does provide information about using a new name and about the other legal processes which can be used to evidence a name change.

Help from a lawyer

You can choose to consult a lawyer if you need help.

The lawyer can answer your questions or help you through the process. You will be offered this option when you complete the document.

How to modify the template

You fill out a form. The document is created before your eyes as you respond to the questions.

At the end, you receive it in Word and PDF formats. You can modify it and reuse it.

Fill out the template