A Resignation Letter is an official document by which an employee resigns from a given position or employment.
This document can be used by parties who are employees to an organization. For example, an independent contractor can use this document to terminate their contract, and the employee can use this document to resign from their role at the employer's organization.
The following information will be required to complete the resignation letter:
- Name and address of the sender: The form filler is required to fill the name and address of the sender. If the sender of the letter is a registered organization, for example, a company, the filler should include the registered number of the company which is contained in the company's certificate of incorporation.
- Position of the sender: The form filler must indicate the position the sender is resigning from. For example, the sender may be resigning from the position of a director, company secretary, accountant, etc.
- The position of the recipient: This is the position the recipient of the letter occupies in the organization. This usually is the Human Resources Manager. Also, it could be the company secretary, if the sender is resigning as a Director.
- The name and address of the recipient's organization: The form filler must fill the name and address of recipient's organization. This organization is where the sender works in.
- Notice: The form filler must indicate whether a notice of resignation is required from the sender. This requirement is usually stated in the employee's Employment Agreement, the organization's staff policy manual. Sometimes, it states that when an employee intends to resign from their job, he/she must give notice of their intention to resign. So, it is important that the form filler confirms this requirement before filling this document.
- Contact details of the sender (if it is necessary).
- Name and position of the representative: Where the sender of the letter is a registered organization, an authorized representative of the registered organization must sign on its behalf. This authorized representative must be a principal officer of the sender. For example, if the sender is a company, the person signing must be a director of the company. If the sender is a partnership business, one of the partners can sign this letter. If the sender is an incorporated trustee, one of the trustees can sign the letter. If the sender is a sole proprietorship business, the proprietor can sign the letter.
How to use this document
This document can be used by a party who intends to end its employment. The form filler must ensure that any requirement for notice of resignation is complied with. That is, the sender must ensure that appropriate notice is given where required.
After filling this document, the employee/service provider must sign the document and deliver it to the employer or client. The employee/service provider should keep a copy for record purposes.
The general rules of contract are applicable. The Nigerian Labour Act is also applicable.
How to modify the template
You fill out a form. The document is created before your eyes as you respond to the questions.
At the end, you receive it in Word and PDF formats. You can modify it and reuse it.