The Freelance Writing Agreement is a document used to outline the terms of a writing contract with a freelancer. A freelancer writer is a person contracted by the client to provide specific writing services for the client, usually for a specified period. In this document, the freelance writer may be contracted to write article, book, essay, writing articles, newspaper articles, business proposals, or other written work.
The freelancer is not an employee of the client but an independent contractor who controls how they render their services. Clients hire freelancers for specific projects that require the freelancer's skills and expertise. The freelancer may be contracted on a one-off basis for a specific period.
This document should be used in the following circumstance:
- If a client (whether an individual or business) is hiring someone to provide freelance writing services (writing gig); and
- The freelance writer is hired to provide writing services to another the client.
This document sets out the terms of the agreement, including the following:
- Scope of Writing Services. This clause includes the details of the freelancer's writing tasks, including the phases of each job and the timeline.
- Work Location and Schedule. This document should specify the freelancer's work location, such as whether the freelancer must work from a specific office location or whether they can work remotely (from home). The work schedule includes the specific time or hours of work. For example, the freelancer should work from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, from Monday-Friday.
- Compensation Structure. This provision describes the freelancer's fee, how the freelancer will receive their fee (for example, by cash, bank transfer, etc.), and whether the freelancer must send an invoice.
- Duties of the Freelancer and Client. The document should include specific expectations of the client and the freelancer. For example, the client is expected to pay the freelancer's fee once it becomes due, and the freelancer should perform their tasks as required under the agreement. Both parties can agree on more specific obligations regarding the client and freelancer.
- Non-Compete Obligation. This provision aims to restrict the freelancer from working or setting up a business that offers similar services as the client. With this provision, the freelancer can not work for a competing business during and for a specific period after their engagement with the client.
- Confidentiality Obligations. This provision ensures that the freelancer does not disclose the client's confidential information relating to the client's business and other materials.
- Intellectual Property Ownership. This provision specifies who will retain ownership of the intellectual property created under this agreement. Usually, the client will own the intellectual property rights on the writing materials the freelancer will create under this agreement. However, in some other cases, both parties may share ownership.
The Freelance Writing Agreement is similar to the Service Agreement because they both involve the hiring an independent contractor to provide specified services. However, this document more specifically relates to freelance writing services while the service agreement is more general in nature. Additionally, the benefits of hiring a freelancer include the provision of high-quality services at a low cost. Unlike an employee, the freelancer is not entitled to employment benefits such as annual leave, insurance, retirement benefits, and allowances. See our article on the difference between an employee and an independent contractor.
How to use this document
This document specifies the terms and conditions of the freelance writing agreement.
The document should be completed by filling the form with the required information, including the scope of the writing service, freelancer's remuneration, and of course, how the agreement will terminate.
After completing the document, it should be printed and signed by the freelancer and the client.
Alternatively, the document may also be signed electronically and delivered to the other party by email.
Each party should keep a signed copy of this agreement for their record.
The Labour Act, 2004 regulates work for hire and employment matters. Also, the rules of general contract apply to this document.
How to modify the template
You fill out a form. The document is created before your eyes as you respond to the questions.
At the end, you receive it in Word and PDF formats. You can modify it and reuse it.